The Metalkol RTR development in the DRC includes the construction of a new Residual Storage Facility. Samukonga village, a small community living on the perimeter of the project, was identified as a primarily impacted area. The community, therefore, needed to be relocated before construction started.
Metalkol RTR constructed a new village to host the displaced community, including 16 modern, fully furnished houses, a community hall, a water reticulation system and a solar power system.
To ensure that the Samukonga community settled with ease in their new environment, the following programmes were implemented:
• A WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) training program conducted by a local NGO
• A community nursery set up for Metalkol RTR’s re-vegetation project, aiming to produce trees
• A poultry project set up for each household
• Training for each household on microfinance
• A vegetable garden with fruit trees for each household
All credit and thanks to Metalkol RTR for taking strong leadership in these community consultations and developments.